Dental hygiene is about more than just your teeth, good oral health can help to prevent a number of diseases.
Recent research has indicated that your teeth and gums can be an indicator of your general overall health and can actually help to find potential problems. Considering this, it is understandable as to why regular dental and oral hygiene checks are important.
What’s the connection between oral health and overall health?
Just like many areas on your body, the mouth is teeming with bacteria, but most of them are harmless. The body’s natural defences and good oral care, such as daily brushing and flossing, can manage to keep these bacteria under control. Without proper oral hygiene, however, these bacteria levels can reach a point that might lead to oral infections such as gum disease and tooth decay.
How can I protect my oral health?
To maintain good oral hygiene and to protect your oral health, good oral hygiene should be practised every day. Good oral hygiene can involve:
- Floss Daily.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day (for at least two minutes) with fluoride toothpaste.
- Schedule regular dental check-ups and cleanings.
- Avoid tobacco use.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or sooner if bristles have frayed.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit between-meal snacks.
Dental Hygiene at LARA dental
The Hygiene team at LARA dental are uniquely qualified to assist in the prevention and treatment of oral disease and the promotion of a healthy oral environment. Our Hygienists will focus on all aspects of gum health by monitoring oral hygiene practices and assisting patients to develop a home care plan to maintain oral health.
As well as performing routine Airflow cleaning, our thorough Hygienists can offer advice on:
- Prevention of tooth decay
- Nutritional information for the prevention of tooth decay
- Use of fluoride
- Smoking cessation
- Halitosis (smelly breath)
- Stained/discoloured teeth
- Xerostomia (dry mouth)
- Links between dental health and systemic conditions
Offering the ultimate care to all of our patients begins with ensuring their overall oral health is taken care of. The highly experienced team at LARA dental that includes the skill of Dentists, Hygienists and Therapists will provide you and your family a range of services for good oral health.