LARA dental provides dental implant treatments that can save your smile and your oral health regardless of your age
If you are missing one, or multiple teeth, dental implants from LARA dental is a treatment option you should seriously consider: no matter your age. Dental implants are by no means a new treatment. But, much like modern dentistry, they have come through in leaps and bounds in recent times.
What Are Dental Implants?
If you are missing one or more teeth, regardless of how old you are, dental implants are the most effective method of preventing any further damage to your oral health. They also restore both the form and function of your lost teeth. The list of dental implant benefits is a lengthy one, but arguably the most important is preventing the deterioration of the jaw bone in the gap left by missing teeth. Having this gap can also cause your teeth to shift and move to fill this gap and may cause a number of complications such as:
- a misaligned jaw
- crooked teeth
- trouble speaking and eating
- neck pain
But luckily, these can all be avoided by a relatively simple procedure. Dental implant surgery involves the insertion of small titanium fixtures into your jawbone that acts in much the same way as a natural tooth root. They are fused to the jawbone in a process called osseointegration and after a period of healing, the body essentially sends the signal to retain the bone mass beneath your implant.
The Dental Implant Surgery Process
For the benefits that you receive from dental implants, the procedure is relatively straightforward. Your missing teeth will be replaced in all the ways that matter and your oral health will improve to no end. It is performed in four stages with a short recovery period between the fixing of your implant and the placing of the abutment.
- The first of these stages is your consultation with Dr Charlie Kahwagi and his team. Dr Kahwagi will conduct a thorough examination of your current dental health and ensure that you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. Should you be a match for the treatment, he will then discuss with you at length, the important details of the procedure and whether you may need to have a bone graft performed in order to go ahead.
- The second stage is the placement of your dental implant, a titanium rod, into the area of the missing tooth. This is a procedure Dr Kahwagi is able to perform in-house, saving you time and money in the process. You may receive a light sedation or local anaesthetic to ensure your comfort during the surgery.
- Once your implant has healed, stage three commences with the placement of an abutment, which is the adjoining of the implant and the prosthesis. Generally, it will take four to six weeks for your gums to heal around the abutment.
- In the fourth and final stage, a customised crown will be fitted to your implant and will replace the appearance of a natural tooth without anyone being able to tell the difference. After placing the crown, your dental implant can start to function as a natural tooth. This means there is no need to dread eating certain foods, no speech impediments and no messy adhesives! Your dental implants don’t need any special treatment and, in fact, all you need to do to keep them in excellent shape is to maintain your oral health in the same way you would your natural teeth.
Dental Implants from LARA dental
At LARA dental, we are passionate about providing our patients with treatments and care of the very highest standards, as well as growing in tandem with the community.
Our team of trained and experienced practitioners offers a comprehensive range of services including dental implant surgery. Whether you require general, restorative, preventative, orthodontic, cosmetic or implant dentistry you can find all of these provided under one roof, with specialist care and with no need for referrals. We have an incredibly diverse group of patients and some come from as far as Warrnambool, Ballarat and Melbourne.
To find out more about our dental implant treatment or to make an appointment please click here.